Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Owl'll Decorate For You...

I have decided to create this blog as a space to showcase various ideas I have brought to life from Pinterest, friends, and/or other teachers. I am creating this over the summer with the intent of blogging frequently. However, as most teachers will attest to, we all have great plans and intentions over the summer but once August rolls around.....who knows? I know I like to write and craft and enjoy looking at other middle school blogs so I thought "why not try one of my own?" We will see how it goes. My only regret is not saving pictures of everything I have created in the past for my classroom; better to start later rather than never, I suppose.


The first craft I would like to share is my pride and joy I made last summer. I wanted to do an owl theme so I was playing around on Pinterest, naturally, when I discovered owls made out of paper lanterns. The obsession grew. Often times when I make things I struggle with the fear of it not turning out. However, I must say, these owls are probably the cutest thing I have ever seen (next to my nieces and nephews, of course).

 I have three and they hang next to each other in my classroom from the ceiling. The medium owl is missing from this picture and I apologize not having one of my owls hanging from the ceiling :(

Materials Needed:

  • paper lanterns (any color), I found mine at Hobby Lobby (always remember to get that 40% off coupon!) Mine were three sizes (small, medium, and large)
  • scrapbook paper (your choice!)
  • foam squares (any colors!)
  • eyeball stickers
  • glitter pens (optional)
  • glue gun & glue sticks
  • fishing wire 

Steps to creating these little darlings:
  1. Cut your scrapbook paper to make the wings
  2. Cut the foam squares to make the eyes, nose, ears, and feet (I used pink glitter foam for the ears to give it something extra!)
  3. Arrange and glue the pieces onto your paper lantern using a hot glue gun (be careful, it comes through the thin paper lantern material and can get very hot!)
  4. Place your eyes onto the circle foam pieces.
  5. Decorate the chest of the owl using a glitter pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment